How to Tag Customers in Shopify?
In the Shopify platform, customer tags are a way to add labels to a customer's profile to help categorize them and remember more information on their behavior. Tags work similarly to how you might use hashtags in social media. Customer tags can be beneficial for segmenting your customer base, organizing your CRM, or providing personalized shopping flows.
Let's look closer at the Shopify customer tags, the best practices to use them, and how the Pro:Tagger app enhances the merchant's experience while managing tags.
Why are Customer Tags Important for Merchants?
Since tags are flexible labels for customers - they can play any role in your business processes. Tags that can range from "wholesale" and "repeat customer" to "not trusted client" can categorize clients and simplify their management in the Shopify platform. So merchants are limited just by imagination - you can think of Tags as a way of client management and segmenting or improving your marketing efforts. The immense power of tags comes with other app integration, when merchants can build new levels of automatization in business and operational processes.
NOTE: Be clear and use clear and understandable tag names. Be concise - although Cusotmers tags allow up to 255 characters, try not to overdose with text.
What are the benefits of Shopify Customer Tagging?
- Customer retention: you can use tags to track shopper engagement, loyalty, and behavior.
- Marketing: tags can help analyze marketing efforts and adjust strategy based on accurate data.
- Localization: use tags for regional or language preferences to offer localized content.
- Event Targeting: tag customers who participated in events or webinars, making it easier to reach them in the future.
- Content access management: allowing or restricting access to different site parts depends on customer tags.
- Feedback management: makes it easier to follow up on customer feedback.
Customer tagging is valuable for many companies in different industries because of many reasons, so each merchant will find his own benefits in tagging.
Setting Up Customers Tags in Shopify.
Setting tags for customers in Shopify is quite a simple process. You can do it while creating new customers or editing existing ones.
- Open your Shopify admin and go to Customers.
- Choose the necessary customer from the list or create a new customer.
- Select or enter tags for this customer in the Tags section. (You can use multiple tags, separating them with commas.)
- Save changes.
Introducing Pro:Tagger: Your Shopify Tagging Solution
Pro:Tagger - is a handy tag manager that provides extra functionality to use tags more efficiently. The app allows merchants to set up flows and automation to tag customers based on order details, order history, registration date, last purchase period, etc.
Here are Pro:Tagger's key features and benefits:
- Set rules and auto-flows for auto-tag customers by conditions you choose.
- Bulk action with product's and customer's tags: add, remove, edit.
- Apply the automation rules to upcoming or past events.
- Ease of use: an intuitive interface ensures a comfortable experience.
- Bulk tagging: you can group customers using tags and create various automated product collections.
Building relations with clients using the Pro:Tagger app? (How-To Step-by-Step Guide)
Imagine you are selling goods for pets. Fortunately, the pet niche lets you build long-term relations with customers. You can use the Pro:Tagger app to make that connection with clients and turn them into loyal and regular customers.
Let's take a case where you want to hear feedback from recent buyers who purchased in the last seven days. So you can evaluate their experience with your store, understand if clients like it, and keep in touch with them.
We must detect recent buyers, tag them automatically, and create conditions to send automatic emails. Here is how you can do it:
Step 1: Install the app & add Automatic Rule
Install the Pro:Tagger ‑ Bulk & Auto Tags from the Shopify App Store. Navigate to the app's dashboard. In the Customers section, click the Auto-tagging button and Add rule.
Step 2: Setup the Automatic Rule
Create a name for the tag you will assign to customers who meet the following conditions and set those conditions:
- Placed an Order: last week
- Accepts email marketing: Yes
Step 3: Pre-Final steps
There are a couple more options to finalize:
- You must choose what to do if conditions are Unmet anymore.
- Enable the rule
- Save changes.
Step 4: Final step - Apply the created rule to customers
Finally, you'll need to decide if you want to apply the newly created auto-rule to the existing customers who meet the conditions. Make your choice and finish the setup.
All users who meet these two conditions will get the tag "Recent buyer."
Now, using marketing apps for Shopify, you can set up automatic email sending to such customers. Depending on your business and niche, you can add different information to emails.
You can consider adding something from the listed:
- Appreciation for choosing your service/product.
- Polite question on the customer's experience while making the purchase. Try to provide options to choose from. People don't like to write much.
- Stimulating client retention by proposing discounts or other loyalty tools.
We at NexusMedia were amazed that many of our clients hadn't even heard about tags or didn't use them at all. Even though tags are less popular among merchants, they can be a powerful tool for business.
Give it a try - we are sure you'll incorporate them into your current workflow and increase your business.
Pro:Tagger ‑ bulk & auto tags
Bulk customer tags & product tags. Customers auto-tagging.
Set up flows/automation to assign or remove tags from your customers based on order details, behavior, order history, or products purchased.Install Pro:Tagger app
Frequently Asked Questions
What is customer tagging in Shopify?
Customer Tagging in Shopify is a feature that allows you to add any label, aka tag, to customers. You can add tags manually or automatically using 3rd party apps like Pro:Tagger.
Does Pro:Tagger offer automated tagging?
Yes, customer auto-tagging is the most fantastic feature in the app; it lets you set up automated rules.
Can I try Pro:Tagger?
Yes, we have a FREE 7-day trial so that you can explore the app's functionality.
I'm stuck with the Pro:Tagger app!
If you need assistance with the app - feel free to reach our 24/7 support team via email: email@example.com.